Sunday, May 29, 2011

Freshman Year-Complete

It’s hard to believe that we are already wrapping up the 2010-2011 school year. It truly has been a remarkable year for me individually and also I think overall for everything. It seems not too long ago that I was showing the new students around the school, and all of a sudden the only thing on my mind is finals and summer. This year has been quite different from previous school years for countless reasons. This includes, but is not limited to:
High School
This is my first year as a high school student. So much is different in comparison to middle school. In high school, there is obviously much, much more responsibility. I’ve learned that organization, dedication, and focus are all keys that determine how well you perform. It is the student’s responsibility for homework, tests, and projects. Ninth grade was a lot of fun, but I’m looking forward to the future as I will be older and wiser. Plus, I never liked being the youngest… I hope there isn’t a lot of freshman hazing in college.
Rains/Floods
This year was something happened that I’ve never experienced before. All of our classes in December were cancelled due to torrential rains within the Venezuelan state of Miranda. At first, I, along with the other students, couldn’t have been happier. This all changed when we ended up getting countless worksheets, projects, and other assignments. Teacher’s wikis became very popular on my computer. To make matters worse, the work did not count, and we still had to spend more time at school.
VANAS/CAISSA
Now that I’m a freshman, I’m able to travel a bit more for athletic teams. As I was on the basketball and softball team, I was able to go to tournaments within Venezuela (VANAS) but also internationally in a tournament called CAISSA. I’m glad I was able to experience this for the first time, even though this was my 2nd year playing Varsity basketball. For CAISSA basketball, I traveled to Trinidad, where teams from Venezuela, Trinidad, Ecuador, and the Dominican Republic all represented their schools. Although this was a great experience for me, I was sick for the entire time. I didn’t want to miss the opportunity, so I decided to play through my stomach and respiratory issues along with a 103 degree fever. This was definitely the wrong idea as I missed a great amount of school afterwards.

I’m really looking towards 10th grade. I didn’t do as well in 9th grade as I could have, so my goal for 10th grade is to not only make honors, but become a better person overall. I’m looking forward to the increased freedom along with making new friends and experiencing new things. I don’t really know what to expect for next year, because as they say, life’s a journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment