Saturday, May 28, 2011

Health & Nutrition

Dwight Howard, my fitness idol.
One thing that everyone needs in order to live well physically, mentally, and spiritually is nutrition. I personally believe that this topic is a must-have in one’s life. During middle school, I didn’t care about my health. I ate what I wanted, did what I wanted and had very little care for going to the gym to burn fat and gain muscle. Coming into high school, I knew that my methods regarding this area would have to change for multiple reasons: as a growing teenager, our health will affect us for the rest of our life as we mature and stop growing. For me personally, I feel as though in order to perform at a top level athletically, I will need to fuel myself with food that has great nutritional values, along with making sure I am physically able to perform. This also goes with academics; countless studies have shown that when you have an active lifestyle (i.e. outside often, sports) you perform much better in the classroom, regardless of the subject. I have had the chance to experience this first-hand. In the past, I have felt tired, drowsy, and unable to interact in a class. The result of this was lower grades in classes that I knew I could do much better in. Because of this I have taken a complete 180 degree turn in my health in nutrition. I try to go to the gym at least 4-5 times a week, and it has definitely paid off. I’m glad I made this life choice, for short AND long term reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment